Thursday, January 21, 2016

Teachers

          Oh where do I start...teachers are some of the smartest yet dumbest people on earth. They know practically everything about one subject, and are completely oblivious when it comes to other things in life. I won't name teachers or even the subjects they teach, but I've had a few teachers that I just couldn't stand. Usually I'm careful about what I say behind teacher's backs. My friends are not so careful. I find that you really notice the quality of your teacher when you start studying for a test. For example, this week with midterms coming up I went to one of my teachers several times with questions on the upcoming test. I tried asking him something about a previous test question that I got wrong. I had written out how I solved the problem, and even then he couldn't figure out how I got the question wrong. He started explaining (or what ever you could call it). I was so annoyed that I just kept nodding every time he asked me if I understood. I then asked one of my friends (who hasn't been teaching this topic for twenty years) to explain it, and she explained it with very little difficulty. Another teacher I have will grade you on the spot and say your grade out loud in front of the entire class. We never learn anything in his class. Most days we are either reviewing assignments, taking tests, reading answers to worksheets he's already filled out, learning about a new assignment, or watching awkward eighties videos. No teacher can be perfect, and teaching is a hard profession, but one thing a teacher should try to avoid is being to arrogant to actually teach. One of my teachers is always bringing in his own opinions (mostly criticizing certain subjects and people) into our class discussions. He hates religion and criticizes every belief and misconceptions people had or have. He also claims that he would not have submitted to certain oppressive beliefs like the sun revolves around the earth, but if he was facing death for his belief I don't think he would be so defiant. My favorite teachers always have control of what they are teaching, and they are weary to the intelligence level of their students. They also have such a structured teaching style that none of the students feel rushed through the curriculum. Just remember to be respectful of your teachers, because they do have a tough job. Be thankful that these people were willing to pursue this grueling, and rarely rewarding profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment