Friday, January 15, 2016

Sick Day

         Some people are more prone to viruses than others. I happen to catch every cold possible, and always at the worst of times. For example, this week I caught a cold. The week before I had fractured my foot. So if that wasn't enough, by Monday afternoon I had a fever and a Spanish speaking test on Wednesday. I told myself that I had to make it to Wednesday (which was a half day). I suffered through Monday, Tuesday, and nearly died on Wednesday. Finally I took Thursday and Friday off. As soon as I put my feet up for a second my debate partner is barking in my ears. We missed last week's debate, and she wants to go to a tournament before states. However, this weekend I'm going to New York. The trip was planned by my dad, so if I didn't have a mother I wouldn't have known when we were leaving until an hour before we got in a car. That's usually how things are with my dad. Anyways, my mom told me we were leaving at the beginning of this week, so when I told my debate partner she flipped out on me. She's a bit of an overachiever, and she wants to get in some debate practice before states (we are in the novice group so it doesn't really matter). She ended up asking a guy in our grade who did debate in middle school, to debate with her this weekend. If she hadn't made me feel bad enough already, today at seven (when I was still sleeping) she texts me. She starts telling me how the guy she's debating with will not be able to read the evidence until the morning of the debate, and she is going to have to do most of the work herself. Meanwhile, I'm reading her texts while trying to keep my eyes open, and my head is pounding with a hundred degree fever. Even yesterday when I was supposed to be resting she was having me write paragraphs for our case. Anyways, this morning I said enough was enough, and I told her basically that my brain is not functioning currently, and you're not helping the cause, so try again later. Those weren't my exact words, but I came pretty close to saying that. She hasn't responded (I'm somewhat thankful). The moral of this story, is do not overwork yourself, or have others overwork you. There are some things you can't control in life, and you, and others, need to except that. A little word of advise, if your friend is sick please just show some remorse and then leave the person alone. We all need a break now and again. In high school, it can be especially hard to fall behind or take a break, but there are always people and friends to get you back on your feet again. I'm thankful I took a rest, because if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to go to New York (this is my first time going), and I'd still be very sick going into midterms next week. Remember, just because you are taking a sick day doesn't mean you can't be productive. Work on that book, or Netflix series you haven't finished, or write like me. Writing can really help take some stress off. Most importantly, cuddle up with a comfy blanket and silence your phone ;) today is your day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment