Thursday, January 28, 2016

Prioritizing

           Speaking about prioritizing, yesterday I was unable to blog because I had track practice and then a robotics build session from five to eight. The next few weeks are going to be hectic for me because it is the robotics build season. We only have a few weeks to put together a robot for the competition we are entered in, so every week on Wednesday and Thursday I'm not going to have an afternoon. That's how it is in high school. It is almost impossible to not overbook yourself. Let's be honest here, the main reason for most students (at least my friends and I) to do a lot of activities is so they can get into a good college. Being smart is not good enough anymore, or at least that's what they say. This spring I am traveling to France to visit a friend, and one of my friends asked me to do a debate camp at Harvard that conflicted with my trip to France. She asked me how going to France would get me accepted to college. I just looked at her like really? I am going to France because I've never been before, and I live for new experiences. I am also trying to learn basic french before I go to France. Knowing two languages could be very helpful when applying to colleges (I take Spanish in school). There is a time to prioritize fun and a time to prioritize school. I tend to be either one way or the other. In my free time I am either binge watching Netflix for three hours straight, or I'm working on a project for six hours. School is a whole other prioritizing issue. Robotics is my main issue. I missed a few build sessions a week ago because I was sick, so I have to make up the time (six hours). It so happens that debate is on the same day as robotics, so basically I have to make a decision. Annoy my debate partner, and make partnerships complicated, or push off making up the build hours and annoy my coach. In the end it came down to which activity was most reasonable for me. Debating would mean I would have to find time in my non-existent free time to prepare a case. In the end I decided I'll go to robotics. Life as a teenager can be difficult, so many decisions so little time. The truth is no one is perfect or can achieve everything, but focus can be a gift in high school. Once you've found your passion (it may take a few years) focus as hard as you can on what's going to get you to your goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment