Sunday, January 24, 2016

Prejudice

          Preconceived opinions and assumptions without proper knowledge or experience, that's what prejudice is. Unfortunately prejudice is not just an issue in high school. It is something present even in the adult world. Even with all the resources we have today, people still don't bother to inform themselves before formulating an opinion. Speaking globally I find that teenagers can be much more understanding and cultured. This is because (in my school at least) there is a huge movement for global education, specifically religious studies. For example, in my history class we have been studying Muslim culture, and I can definitely say that I know much more about Islam than both of my parents. High schooler's however can be very prejudice when it comes to their fellow classmates. For instance, popular students may think that there is no one else who is as entertaining as them (I beg to differ). Certain races may be prejudice towards minorities. I hate how some politicians exploit the knowledge gap of certain people. I also hate how people accept without question sexism. I've seen a few standup comedians be extremely sexist. They try and say that they're just being honest, or that are not sexist, but it is just not acceptable. Toys can be very sexist. I realized later in my life that my parents never got legos for my sister and I. My brother on the other hand has enough legos to build a castle. Girls should like dolls and avoid toy guns and building sets. Boys can't dress up or like princesses. It is ridiculous. One comedian I heard kept talking about how parents shouldn't hug male children because it will make them gay. Why do we have to be like that. A guy doesn't have to be a man to be a good guy. Just because he has feelings and cares doesn't mean he isn't a man. Why do we have these standards. They are oppressing and make people prejudice. I think it's because we are scared, but this is a changing world. It is time we adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment