Thursday, January 14, 2016

Body Image

          There are students from elementary school all the way to high school that are concerned about the way they look. One such person is my very own sister. I've always viewed her as my alter ego. A better more social person, with the spirit to light up all of New York City. Her and I are even opposites in appearance. I have brown eyes and brown hair. She has blue eyes and blond hair. Another difference between the two of us is size. She has always been a bit heavy, but over the past few years she's begin to notice, and worry, about it more. We've spent quite a few nights with my sister sobbing and me and my mother denying every ugly word she pins against herself. My sister's body issues have taken away from her true personality. How could a person love the world if she doesn't like herself? It breaks my heart to see her criticize everything that makes her an incredible person. The same goes for everyone else I know who is harsh to the way they look. If you are one of the thousands of teenagers who criticizes yourself constantly, know you are not alone. I don't have strong body issues (except for the occasional maybe I should lay off the fifth donut today ;) ). However, when it comes to school and sports I tend to be a little rough on myself. If I miss a shot or incorrectly respond to a question, I put a lot of stress on myself to do better. This ultimately, and inevitably, makes me do worse. I can't work under pressure. Some people can, but I'm not one of them. Part of me always wants to forgive my mistakes, but it is silenced by the part of me that can always hold a grudge, so to speak. There is light at the end of the tunnel though, for all of us. We all can find something that we like ourselves. If you cannot see it there is someone who does. For example, my sister (who is loudly singing in the hallways as I write this) can always bring a smile to my face because anything can bring a smile to her's. She is the person I will never be, and I believe she exists to account for the characteristics I am missing. When it comes to personality, your size and physical appearance is simply there as a barrier to make sure others aren't blinded by your inner awesomeness. It's true, and if others criticize you it's because they are more blind than those who do not have eyes. The only person who can really change your personality for the worse, is yourself. Develop and love your personality, and yourself for what you have. It could be much worse. You could be those people I was talking about earlier. Embrace compliments, and discard insults as flaws of someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment