Saturday, January 9, 2016

           Hello, and welcome to my first blog. Starting from now on, I will submit an entry most every day about my experiences at high school. I go to a very good public high school, and I am given many great opportunities. However, that's not to say I don't run into any problems or hard decisions I have to make. For example, yesterday me and my public forum debate partner, decided to drop out of today's debate tournament. For those of you who do not know what public forum debate is, I will explain. Public forum is a style of debate in which there are two teams of two, debating a topic with facts. The topic changes every month, and for January the topic is; On balance, economic sanctions are reducing the threat Russia poses to Western interests. Lets just say that this was not a very popular topic. Anyways, yesterday my partner had to attend a track meet that went until seven. We met at eight and didn't start working until eight thirty. We had gotten together earlier this week, but we still had to write two four minute speeches on economic sanctions. I would explain the debate topic if I wasn't so sick of it already (if you really want to know just look it up). The dropout deadline for the tournament was nine p.m. on Friday, so me and my partner anxiously debated;) whether we should compete or not. Before I move on with the story I must go back to earlier this week. Me and my partner had both flipped out at least once at our parents because of how much stress we were going through. Midterms are coming up and we had a big science test on Friday. On Wednesday I got home from school after working on debate. My dad offered me a bowl of chicken noodle soup. I still had a garbage truck's worth of homework to do, and I know if I start eating I won't start homework for a while. However, part of me really wanted that chicken soup. I go back and forth until so much ridiculous stress builds up that I nearly explode on my dad. Then to let some of it out I march out of the room and mumble that I have to much homework. After settling at my desk my mom comes in my room. She asks me how I am doing and then asks me if I want a bowl of chicken noodle soup. I nearly explode on the spot. I say no and then she goes and asks me if I emptied the bowl she put out for me and I say no, dad must have done it. She keeps talking to me and then finally leaves before I have a total meltdown. Just to be clear I'm usually not like this. Just under stress I tend to get really mean. I love my parents, and they do so much for me. Sometimes I just get a little annoyed. However, after finishing my homework at the crack of dawn, I went down and had a bowl of chicken noodle soup;). It was good. Turns out the same day I had my mental breakdown my debate partner also screamed at her parents. Clearly it had been a rough week for the both of us. We thankfully decided to skip debate. Afterwards I felt so relieved and not the least bit guilty. That night talking to my parents I realized that it's ok to stop and breath for a second, especially as a high school student. So the next time you feel extremely stressed take something off your plate, and swap it with some chicken noodle soup;). Don't expect to be able to do everything all the time. No one is that perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment